Doggy News

Sign up for our newsletter and get an adorable puppy delivered to your doorstep each week.
Just kidding! It's only our newsletter.

Mushrooms Can Be Very Bad For Your Pooch


You definitely wouldn’t want to end up like Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, who has recently shared a photo of himself on Instagram holding his French bulldog, with a caption explaining that Brutus had to be put down because he was unfortunate enough to eat poisonous mushrooms. The professional wrestler, producer, and actor added that pet owners would be wise to check if anything poisonous grows in their yards and in the parks they frequent.

Matthew McKernar, a horticulturist, says that mushrooms are most common when the moisture in the ground reaches its highest levels, which means you should be extra careful during rainy months. While most mushrooms might be harmless, it doesn’t hurt to be extra cautious. He adds:

In the state of Kansas, there are over 750 types of mushrooms and they’re very hard to identify specific varieties or specific types of mushrooms. So in general all mushrooms should be considered poisonous. One of the best things to do if you have mushrooms in your yard is to just mow them off with your lawn mower and break them up into tiny pieces that your dogs aren’t going to be able to get to.

What you should do is check your yard for any mushrooms that might have appeared without you noticing. Take a picture and browse the web for the most accurate match, check whether they are poisonous, and if they are, eradicate all trace of them. If your dog happens to eat some suspicious mushrooms, don’t hesitate to call your veterinarian right away, or go to an animal clinic. Some of the symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, seizures, excessive drooling, and even coma.


Prev1 of 2Next


Join Us On Facebook

You May Also Like

Doggy News

Sign up for our newsletter and get an adorable puppy delivered to your dorstep each week.