close

Doggy News

Sign up for our newsletter and get an adorable puppy delivered to your doorstep each week.
Just kidding! It's only our newsletter.

Gum Is Highly Poisonous To Your Dog

0
SHARES
1

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is commonly used as a sweetener in chewing gum. While this chemical compound is perfectly safe for human consumption, it should always be kept away from dogs, as it is highly poisonous to them.

According to Dr. Michael Thomsen of Kimberly Crest Veterinary Hospital, Xylitol is significantly more toxic to dogs than chocolate. Side effects of consuming Xylitol include seizures or even coma, but you should be aware that there are different levels of toxicity.

If you notice any of these symptoms, you should assume that it is, in fact, Xylitol poisoning and get your dog professional medical help as soon as possible. Not only gum contains Xylitol. Hard candies, peanut butter and a number of sugar-free candies can be packed with this ingredient, so be sure to always check the label before sharing any of these foods with your dog.

Prev1 of 2Next
0
SHARES

Comments:

Join Us On Facebook

You May Also Like


Doggy News

Sign up for our newsletter and get an adorable puppy delivered to your dorstep each week.