15 Common People Foods Dangerous to My Dog
It’s normal to slip Fido a scrap of food or two under the table, but did you know that many of the items you could be feeding him could result in him getting extremely sick, and can even be fatal?
It’s a scary thought, especially when all we want to do is spoil our pets and make sure they’re loved and safe. Before you slip your dog your next bit of leftovers, keep in mind these 15 items your dog should never have.
The sweet treat that’s loved by humans is not going to be loved by your dog’s body according to Net Pet Magazine. The chemical in chocolate called Theobromine, which is similar to caffeine, could be toxic to your pooch. It’s a natural stimulant found in the cocoa bean.
Theobromine becomes toxic when it’s ingested in 100 to 150 kilograms of body weight, which means the smaller the dog, the higher the risk. There’s varying levels of Theobromine in chocolate depending on the type. The high amount of fat in chocolate is also dangerous to your dog.
White and milk chocolate are less risky than baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate, however, even with the lighter chocolates, the fat can still cause a serious issue. Signs of poisoning include panting, excessive thirst, diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, seizures, and hyperactivity. Within the first couple of hours, you’ll notice vomiting and diarrhea, with symptoms worsening as the Theobromine is absorbed into his system.
Depending on the size of the dog combined with the amount of chocolate, death is also a very real risk. According to the RSPCA, chocolate ingestion is one of the most common poisonings amongst dogs.
So how can you prevent your pooch from getting his paws on it? Always make sure to keep chocolate in a tightly sealed container or up high in a cabinet where he can’t reach it. Don’t underestimate the power of a hungry dog.
Even if you leave chocolate on the table and push it back away from the edge, it’s very possible he can get a hold of it anyway. If you have any chocolate gifts to give, hide them as well, preferably up high, as the animal could easily sniff it out and go right through the paper to get what he wants.
Chocolate should be kept away from dogs at all costs, and considering the highly toxic nature of the food, it’s necessary to get him to the vet immediately.